The Kerry Wood Nature Centre is the interpretive centre for the Waskasoo Park system and is the gateway to the Gaetz Lakes Sanctuary. If the Centre is not open, the trails in the Sanctuary are accessible from an outdoor gate to the north of the building. The main features are two oxbow lakes separated by boreal forest. The sanctuary is encircled by a well-maintained trail, part of which is a boardwalk. There is lake viewing blind close to the Nature Centre and an overview point on the Wishart Trail.
The Red Deer River Naturalists are not liable for any injury or damage whatsoever caused to yourself or others by using this guide.
- ~ Use discretion when venturing into natural habitat.
- ~ Do not trespass on private land.
- ~ Some sites allow livestock grazing.
- ~ Some sites allow hunting.
- ~ Some sites in western regions are in bear/cougar habitat. Take all necessary precautions.
More birds will be seen in the spring and summer seasons but all locations will have some winter birds. Typical and common species can be expected for each habitat described. Large deep lakes typically attract migrating waterfowl (ducks, swans, and geese).